I have been playing around with athleisure style for the past year or so, and it is one of my favorite trends of the moment (in addition to animal print). Athleisure is essentially wearing athletic gear not just for exercise, but for everyday wear as well. In the past year, I have showcased many of my athleisure looks on Instagram, and now I’ve rounded up my favorites to you here. There’s nothing wrong with throwing on an Adidas hoodie and track pants, and then calling it a day. However, I’m hoping that these 5 styles will give you a little more inspiration as to what athleisure can be!
1. Sweatshirt & Midi Skirt
I have a million midi skirts, and this black, shimmery midi skirt looked amazing with this red cold-shoulder hoodie. Sneakers, hat, and leather accessories are all optional, but really finish off the look. In my opinion, midi skirts are always comfortable, and especially when you wear them with such comfy shoes (one of my many pairs of Pumas!).
2. Track Jacket & Mini Skirt
When pairing a skirt or dress with tops and jackets, you have to pay attention to proportions. For this mini skirt outfit, I paired it with a tie-front top to create an hourglass figure. As long as you have that cinch in your middle, the bulky track jacket over top will still look fine (and not look like too much volume). I added a choker and my same wonderful White Pumas.
3. Basic Tee & Pencil Skirt
You may be wondering what makes a skirt better suited for athleisure? In my opinion, bright colors, a leather or faux-leather finish, or some type of stripes. Can you wear a more feminine, delicate skirt with athleisure tops and jackets? Yes…but for me it feels too all over the place. This look is a basic white tee tucked into a striped pencil skirt, topped with a denim hoodie jacket and black, white, and red Pumas. I always have to have my pop of red, so I added that touch with my sneakers and lips.
4. Hoodie Dress, Ankle Boots
I really love this cold-shoulder velour hoodie dress, because I have dressed it up to go out and dressed it down. My leopard print ankle boots HAD to make an appearance in this post. I’m so obsessed with them this season! I also added a leather jacket, red sunglasses, and my boyfriend’s baseball cap. This outfit made me feel fantastic!
5. Hoodie Dress & Sneakers
Cue the leopard print hoops (they look amazing with olive green, in my opinion!). These slate blue Under Armour sneakers are some of my favorites right now too. I added this leather belt to cinch my waist. However, most hoodie dresses often fit just snug enough that you probably would not need to wear a belt.
My Favorite Athleisure Picks
Decisions, decisions…You probably won’t be surprised at some of my picks, or the stores that they come from! New York & Company’s Gabrielle Union Collection has the best athleisure styles right now. I love the metallic cargo pants in the collection, among others!
You can’t go wrong with these color choices: black, grey, white, silver, gold, red, navy, olive green, or cobalt blue. These are my favorite combinations of color for this particular look, but I’ve seen it done with pastel and neon colors as well. It’s just a little too out there for me.
- Leopard Print Hair Calf Skinny Belt, Ann Taylor Loft
- PUMA Athletic Crew Sweatshirt, Kohl’s
- Red & Black Tie Dye Hoodie Dress, Hot Topic
- PUMA Enzo Strap 2 Running Shoes, Kohl’s
- Fold Accountable Pleated Midi Skirt, Modcloth
- Gabrielle Union Collection Red & Black Sweatpant and Black Crop Hooded Sweatshirt, New York & CompanyI love that most of these pieces are fairly neutral, but they have just a little touch of something funky about them. The writing or stripes down the sleeves, the peacocks on the skirt, and the flowers/characters on the sneakers are all so subtle. Not sure if I would mix all of those prints at much, but would most likely choose one that I want to stand out!
- Nike Renew Rival Premium Running Shoes, Kohl’s
- The Nightmare Before Christmas Patches Faux Leather Hi-Top Sneakers, Hot Topic
- Soho Street Grey “In Love With Love” Sweatshirt, New York & Company
- Classic Majesty Midi Skirt in Peacocks, ModCloth
- Adidas Essentials Full Zip Bomber Jacket, Kohl’s
- Leopard Print Scarf, Ann Taylor Loft
The crop sweatshirts, hoodies, and t-shirts will look amazing with a skirt or pants that come up a bit higher. I do NOT let my stomach hang out, but I do use crop tops strategically with mid-rise and high-rise pants and skirts. No one wants to see me let it all out! (LOL) How amazing are these silver pants? A few other items in the Gabrielle Union Collection remind me of Janet Jackson in her Rhythm Nation music video…I love it! So sexy and tough!
- Soiree Elation Fit & Flare Skirt, ModCloth
- PUMA Ace Sweat Hooded Zip-Up Jacket, Kohl’s
- Gabrielle Union Collection Silver Cargo Pants, New York & Company
- Black & White Bleach Splatter Crop Hoodie, Hot Topic
- Compania Fantastica Relaxed Refinement Knit Skirt, ModCloth
- Gabrielle Union Collection Grey Crop Hooded Sweatshirt, New York & Company
My Final Tips for the Athleisure Look
- Stick with a consistent color palette- whether you want to wear mostly neutrals, primary colors (red, blue, yellow), neon, metallics, pastels. It’s up to you, but I’m a big fan of cobalt blue, navy, red, gray, black, olive green, and silver.
- Striped tops, pants, skirts, and dresses can easily be styled as athleisure. If you are mixing other patterns with your outfit, choose one piece and do it subtly. Remember the leopard print earrings and boots? I didn’t wear them at the same time!
- Faux-leather and leopard print accessories look fierce with your athletic wear.
- Wear sneakers, baseball caps, and beanies with everything, even dresses and skirts.
- Strategically pair mid- to high-rise pants and skirts with crop sweatshirts, tops, or hoodies. OR if you have amazing abs, just wear the dang crop things!
- Layer with jackets or sweatshirts. Also, definitely check out hoodie dresses, because they are basically a gift handed down from God.
What is your favorite athleisure look that I’ve showed you? Do you have any other go-to athletic wear outfits that you love?
Until next time…