I can appreciate the oxymoron of a “classic trend.” Classic looks are timeless. I think of Coco Chanel and her return to simplicity in a decade when clothing was extravagant and opulent. Long vests fit into this category of classic style, because of their beautiful yet simple tailored cuts. Many of my fellow insta-bloggers have been returning to this glamorous article of clothing. I’m going to show you some of my favorite long vest outfits for summer and fall, and where to buy them.
You may remember earlier this summer when I wrote a post about another classic style, shirt dresses (See the post here). Some of the “long vests” pictured here are simply unbuttoned, sleeveless shirt dresses. It’s so great to have an article of clothing that can work in so many different ways, am I right?
Casual Long Vest Outfits
- Make your long vest a little bit country…or a little bit rock and roll (ha!) by wearing a graphic tee or band tee under your vest, paired with boyfriend jeans and ankle boots.
- Another casual long vest look uses a button-front shirt, cut-off shorts, and sneakers. A khaki long vest would work equally as well for these looks, so keep that in mind if you spot a good one!
- I don’t usually do red and green together (because Christmas), but the colors were more muted than the normal red and green. I think the color combo ended up looking fabulous! Another trend that I’ve seen a lot using long vests is to wear a striped 3/4 length or long sleeve tee under your long vest. You can wear shorts, jeans, or ankle pants, and I love flats, loafers, and mules for this casual style.
Here is another shirt dress that I am wearing as a long vest. So…maybe I’m weird for doing so, but I like to shop on my previous blog posts and buy stuff that I suggest when it REALLY goes on sale and clearance. Got this dress from the “Shirt Dress Inspiration” blog post from New York & Company for $20! It comes in blue, gray, and this reddish pink!
- Wear your long vest over a white top and bottom. Nude shoes pair very well with white pants, so I’m wearing some light pink, almost nude sandals. I tried wearing a straw fedora, but I scarily looked like I belonged in a barbershop quartet. I cancelled the hat! (LOL)
- Although I didn’t take pictures of it, I tried this look with a white tank top or bodysuit with white shorts or cropped pants.
Dressy Long Vest Outfits
- This is kind of like the dark version of the previous picture. Depending on the color of your long vest, you can wear a black tank top or bodysuit and black pants with your vest. I felt very formal and dressed up in this outfit, but I was so incredibly comfortable. This picture comes from a previous blog post about summer outfits that are professional AND comfortable (see the post here).
- There’s nothing more classic than my old go-to colors, black and red. Pay attention to the fabric of your long vest. Did you notice how this vest seems more formal than the other 2 examples? It’s made out of similar material to suit jackets and dress pants, while the others are made of linen, a fabric typically used for casual outfits. You could wear this vest with a long-sleeved top as well. I’m also wearing dark cropped jeans, red pumps, and red heels to add to the glamour.
- Not going to lie, as I sit here typing, I am watching a movie called “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.” The movie takes place during and after World War II. This look (and the typewriter) are inspired by this movie and the classic style of the time. If you haven’t seen it yet, you really should (it’s on Netflix). I’m seriously thinking of reading the book now. I love that a long vest can look like a cape or jacket. I recommend wearing a sheath dress, which is a fitted, straight-cut dress, like this hounds-tooth one. Add pumps, like these Mary Janes, to polish off the look.
- You can also wear a long-sleeved sweater dress under your long vest with some knee-high boots. This look is a little more casual.
- Another casual outfit idea is wearing a striped dress under your long vest. Sneakers or knee-high boots are the perfect casual accessory for this.
Where to Buy Long Vests
Here are many different kinds of long vests, both formal and casual. Some are even called “tuxedo vests.” I love the long, casual ruana vest, and think this style would look particularly great with a tank top, jeans, and ankle boots.
(Top to bottom, left to right)
- Structured Striped Vest, Zara
- Levi’s Drawstring Utility Vest, Macy’s
- Calvin Klein Belted Trench Vest, Macy’s
- Wrangler Longline Denim Vest, Nordstrom
- Mia Open Drape Vest, Francesca’s
- Val Striped Ruana Vest, Francesca’s
- Wrap Vest, Zara
- Nine West Belted Crepe Duster Vest, Macy’s
- BB Dakota Bad and Boujee Lace-Up Vest, Nordstrom
Long Vest Tips and Tricks
- Pay attention to fabric. Suiting fabrics and tuxedo styles will make your outfit dressy, while linen fabrics, utility and ruana styles will make your outfit casual.
- Remember that shirt dresses can double as a long vest or dress, so make sure to look into those as well.
- Sleeveless, 3/4, and long-sleeved tops and dresses look wonderful underneath long vests.
- Monochromatic outfits (all white, all black) make your whole ensemble look classic and chic.
Would you rock this look? Which style is your favorite? Let me know in the comments! I’d love to also know if you saw the movie or read the book, “Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” and your thoughts on it too. 🙂
Until next time…