Happy Summer! Summer is finally here, and I couldn’t be more excited. My school finished this Wednesday right before the first official day of summer. For those who don’t know me well, I am a kindergarten teacher by day, and a writer when I can! Honestly, I don’t have as many summer-appropriate clothes as I would like, because many of my summer clothes are also school-appropriate. Therefore, I have to be a little more creative creating my summer outfit ideas and wearing items in multiple ways. Also, I like my summer clothes to be casual and yet still stylish. There’s nothing wrong with throwing on a t-shirt and shorts. However, if you’re going to do that, you probably don’t need to read this post!
So without further ado, here are 4 of my picks for casual summer outfits. When I think casual, I think…simple, doesn’t require a lot of work, easy to put on, and you can wear it to do multiple things.
1. Tie-Front Top + Midi Skirt or Dress
Ever since they started coming back into style, I’ve loved midi skirts. I even wrote an blog post about them that you can read here! They are so lady-like and make me feel like I’ve been transported back in time to the 1940s. Some of my all-time favorite ways to wear midi skirts are with a bodysuit, tie-front top, or crop top. Tie-front crop tops are hitting stores right now, and there’s so many to choose from.
This particular Ann Taylor Loft tie-front crop top came from the outlet, so it’s not available to buy online at this time. Any striped top pairs very nicely with a solid color midi skirt. My yellow midi skirt comes from New York and Company, and is still available now! It’s $13.99 y’all, and comes in pink too, so you better get on that! Almost everything is 80% off right now…that is my store right there. I think the tie-front top and accessories make this outfit a little more current and modern.
Another small detail that I want to tell everyone about from my outfit are these amazing book earrings. If you love books, musicals, comics, nerdy/geeky movies, TV shows, and pop culture, I have an Etsy shop for you! It is called Kit’s Designs by Kits. She has pins, patches, earrings, necklaces, and charms for the nerd in your life.
Do you love flamingos like I do? Here I pair a collared flamingo tie-front top with a coral A-line dress and pink floral heels. The shirt is still available for purchase at Francesca’s. It’s now $24.98!
Here are my top picks at stores near you!
- White Knot Hem Red Lip Tee ($9.00), SheIn
- Black and White Gingham Tie-Waist Midi Skirt ($44.50), J. Crew Mercantile
- White Tie-Front Wrap Blouse- Gabrielle Union Collection ($49.95), New York & Company
- Black Sakura Floral Skirt- Eva Mendes Collection ($29.99), New York & Company
- Striped Tie-Front Tank Top ($19.95), J. Crew Mercantile
- Downtown Impression Printed Midi Skirt ($48.00), Chicwish
- Bardot Tie Detail Split Front Crop Top ($9.00), SheIn
- Black Tie-Front Tank Top ($19.50), J. Crew Mercantile
- Ultra-Soft Chambray Shirt- Gabrielle Union Collection ($59.95), New York & Company
- Grand Sapphire Print Perforated Skirt- Gabrielle Union Collection ($89.95), New York & Company
- Hi-Lo Tie-Front Shirt- Gabrielle Union Collection ($54.95), New York & Company
- Colorful Pencil Illustration Printed Midi Skirt ($48.00), Chicwish
- Bright Shirt Stripe Tie-Waist Midi Skirt ($44.50), J. Crew Mercantile
2. Graphic T-Shirts + Funky Accessories
Graphic T-shirts in and of themselves are not revolutionary in any way. I do love expressing my personality and interests through my T-shirts, and I typically dress or funk them up with cool accessories. A good pair of cut-offs or nice pair of dark wash boyfriend jeans always does the trick on bottom. I can picture myself wearing Chuck Taylors or any of my sneakers with my T-shirts, but one way to make your T-shirt a little sexier is to wear a pair of ankle boots. You get extra points if you’re wearing a band T-shirt.
“When I Sip, You Sip, We Sip.” Pretty funny, right? I found these multi-tone earrings at Target. I am funny about pairing silver with gold, but because these earrings have BOTH silver and gold, I can do whatever I want!
Same earrings, different T-shirt! I would probably keep the big earrings and dress this look down with deconstructed jeans and footbed sandals, a la Joanna Gaines (love that woman!). This amazingly hilarious shirt is from Johnny Destructo on Etsy.com. Check out his Wukanda T-shirt and Darth Vader T-shirt as well! These are fantastic!
Catwoman is probably going to be my next cosplay costume after April O’Neil from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I am obsessed with this T-shirt that I found from Uncanny! It’s just too good! I wore a dark wash pair of boyfriend jeans, cuff bracelets, big earrings, and a bandanna. I love to wear Rockabilly styles like this!
Gilmore Girls’ fans, raise your hands! Rory wears a “Reading is Sexy” t-shirt in one episode of the show. This shirt was bought from another Etsy store, TeeHeeHee Custom Company.
Here are some more ideas and places to find your next awesome graphic t-shirt:
Want more graphic tee ideas? See my blog post about 90’s fabulous styles here.
- “You’ll Never Forget Your First Doctor” Doctor Who T-Shirt ($21.99), Uncanny!
- “I Work Out So I Can Eat Tacos” Deadpool T-Shirt ($26.90), Hot Topic
- Endless Blue Wash High-Waist Skinny Jeans- Soho Jeans ($54.95), New York & Company
- Isabella Geo Painted Earrings ($18.00), Francesca’s
- “Classically Trained” Nintendo T-Shirt ($21.99), Uncanny!
- Mid-Rise Camo Twill Mini Skirt ($41.93), Express
- Blue Crush Wash Destroyed Bowery 4 Inch Boyfriend Shorts- Soho Jeans ($39.95), New York & Company
- Rimless Cat-Eye Sunglasses ($4.00), New York & Company
- Batman Hooded Tank ($21.99), Uncanny!
- High Waisted (Minus the) Leather Zip Mini Skirt ($59.90), Express
- SO Catfish Women’s High Heel Ankle Boots ($34.99), Kohl’s
- PUMA Enzo Premium Women’s Running Shoes ($64.99), Kohl’s
- Led Zeppelin 1977 T-Shirt ($24.50), Hot Topic
- Women’s Under Armour Tech Capris ($23.99), Kohl’s
- Simply Vera Vera Wang Polished Threader Earrings ($12.60), Kohl’s
3. Voluminous Long-Sleeved Tops + Shorts
I wrote about this amazing Free People shirt in a previous blog post (Accentuate Your Best Features: The Pear Body Shape). Because I have a pear body shape, this top accentuates my upper half and balances me out. I don’t mind looking like I stepped right out of the 1970’s with this floppy hat, straw bag, cut-off shorts, and pendant necklace. I usually don’t like long sleeves in the summertime because it’s hot (obviously!), but an off-the-shoulder top with short shorts manages to keep me cool.
This bag is functional and cute! I tend to wear a small crossbody during the summer, but I can easily transfer all of my goodies to this large straw tote (find it here at Francesca’s).
When I was younger, I used to shop for these styles at Wet Seal and Delia’s. Now, I gravitate towards Altar’d State and Francesca’s for hippie chic type clothing.
- Nora Beaded Pendant ($32.00), Francesca’s
- Camille Off The Shoulder Embroidered Top ($38.00), Francesca’s
- Darcie Floral Soft Shorts ($34.00), Francesca’s
- Bali High End Wooden Clutch in Natural ($54.00), Francesca’s
- Hello Sunshine Straw Tote ($24.88), Altar’d State
- Avery Floral Printed Salsa Top ($38.00), Francesca’s
- Claire Destructed Frayed Short Jeans ($38.00), Francesca’s
- Gray Jaxxie Shorts ($49.95), Altar’d State
- Layered Caballo Necklace ($29.95), Altar’d State
- Black Floral Lanlee Top ($59.95), Altar’d State
- Rianna Boucle Floppy Hat ($28.00), Francesca’s
4. Jump Suits + Hoops
Okay, so this look has been gaining steam for some time now. I think this spring/summer we will see rompers/jumpsuits at their most popular. What could be easier than slipping on a jumpsuit, hoop earrings, and sandals or wedges?? I know this look may not seem casual, but believe me, it is very easy and effortless. I got this jumpsuit originally for my April O’Neil cosplay, but I think I’m just going to wear it whenever I want this summer! The color combo is also a little Beatrix Kiddo/The Bride from Kill Bill.
I paired the jumpsuit with a black Obi belt and some rose gold sandals. (This is me thinking sadly about how I have to remove the whole jumpsuit to use the bathroom.)
My favorite jumpsuits are floral, belted, or with a fitted top and loose-fitting legs. The fit is super important to me, so you must, must, must try these on. If the jumpsuit is not cut correctly for your body type, it is not flattering!
Here are some of my faves:
- Diana Corset Jumpsuit- Eva Mendes Collection ($89.95), New York & Company
- Sparkling Pool Slide Sandals ($14.99), New York & Company
- Black Stripe Strapless Jumpsuit ($69.95), New York & Company
- Olive Mock-Neck Jumpsuit- Gabrielle Union Collection ($89.95), New York & Company
- White Wide Hoop Earrings ($16.95), New York & Company
- Gold Solid Cutout Hoop Earrings ($5.90), Forever 21
- Leaf Off-the-Shoulder Jumpsuit ($29.90), Forever 21
- Embellished Faux Suede Loafer Mules ($25.00), Forever 21
- Wide Leg Halter Jumpsuit ($35.00), Forever 21
Which casual summer look do you like the most? Tell me your thoughts in the comments. Do you have a go-to summer outfit?
Until next time…